Nav bar

Makes          Bakes          Wears          Talks

Saturday 31 May 2014

Meme Induced Anger and the Marilyn Monroe Myth


You have probably seen this picture at some point scrolling through one of the many social media websites out there, you probably haven't thought much about it, but I have and every time I see this picture pop up on pinterest, or someone in my newsfeed shares it, I get really annoyed. The main reason being because of the message and it's use of Marilyn Monroe as the face of this message. To keep this short and stay away from a lengthy rant I'm going to list my problems with this picture and the attached quote
  • Who are you to dictate what sexy is to anyone? There are women out there who struggle everyday to put any weight on at all, trust me, as a student dietitian I have seen it first hand. Are these women not allowed to feel sexy?
  • Marilyn Monroe had a sponge chin implant, a nose job, and it's rumoured that she had silicone injections to enlarge her breasts. I learned these facts from spending far too much time watching hollywood documentaries on E! when I was younger
  • History suggests that People have suffered from Anorexia Nervosa since around 700BC, Marilyn Monroe was born in 1926
  • Anorexia Nervosa is a serious mental health problem and not a choice.
  • Every time I have seen this image being shared it has been accompanied by some statement about 'curves' and Marilyn being a size 16, clothing sizes change, if Marilyn Monroe were to buy clothes today, her measurements would mean she would be buying a UK size 8





No comments:

Post a Comment